Taubman College



Typically, a minimum of three years of experience and a professional degree in architecture are required before one can take the licensing exam. In the United States, licensing of architects is the legal prerogative of individual state governments. Each jurisdiction sets its own requirements for initial registration, examination, and corporate practice. Due largely to the efforts of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), guidelines for license examination eligibility and the exam itself are fairly uniform from state to state. However, it is always advisable to check with the individual board to verify registration and practice requirements, as each jurisdiction may change its rules, statutes, and regulations at any time. A license is not required to work in an architectural firm; but to have ownership in a firm or to use the title Architect legally, licensing is mandatory.

View University of Michigan alumni pass rates of the Architecture Registration Exam (ARE) here.

IDP Program

The Intern Development Program (IDP) is administered by The National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). The experience required for Michigan is currently 5,600 hours of training experience.

More internship opportunities